2008-07-01

Introducing PixCede

PixCede is an idea I came up with on the bus into work one day. I've been doing some development on it in my free time, and finally put up a working "proof of concept" last week. There's a development blog on the site, but I've decided to mirror PixCede posts on this blog.

(ripped from my about page)
What is PixCede?
Take a picture with your cell phone camera, send it to submit@pixcede.com, and check pixcede.com to see your picture. Additionally, you can directly view your image using the submission code sent back to your phone.

Ok, that's what it does, but what is it?
PixCede is defined in purely functional terms because I don't care what you use it for. In fact, I'm very curious to see what kind of pictures show up on here. I'll worry about how it works, you worry about what to use it for.

That sounds dumb. Can't you think of anything to use it for?
Sure, I'll tell you exactly what I'm going to use it for: I take pictures with my cell phone camera, and then they just stay there. I'm just going to use this as a sort of Pastebin for my pictures, between cell phones and computers. I'd imagine a lot of the pictures I submit will be either things I think look cool, cool cars, or funny things. But seriously, you should use it for whatever you want. I'm just providing the tool.

Sounds like a cheap way to host pictures!
PixCede is not a traditional image hosting site. I am paying for bandwidth out of my own pocket. If you need a dedicated image hosting site, use S3, Flickr, Picasa, or any number of other services designed for that

So what are you getting out of it?
Entertainment. I, hopefully like you, am interested in seeing what kind of pictures get submitted! A couple of months ago I saw a site about a guy who took a disposable camera and tied it to a park bench with a note that said something to the effect of "take a picture of whatever you want, I'll develop the film once it's all been used." This is my virtual camera-attached-to-a-park-bench.

Am I giving you my pictures? Will you make money off of selling them?
First off, I really don't know who you are -- by design. But I certainly don't think it's right for me to own them either. By submitting a picture to PixCede, you are putting it into the public domain.

Are you making any money off of PixCede?
Not right now. If it really takes off and I have to start putting up AdSense to cover excessive bandwidth costs, I'll let the community know beforehand. For right now though, I'm taking a barebones Craigslist approach.

What does 'PixCede' mean?
The 'Pix' part is pretty obvious: pictures. The suffix '-cede' means to transfer. Altogether now... 'picture transfer.'

No comments: