2008-01-14

Texas and Ghost Towns

Charles sent me a link for ghost towns and said that we would be driving through ghost town central, Texas. Knowing that I wanted to end up a couple of hours from Carlsbad Caverns, I chose McCulloch county because it had a handful of ghost towns, including Salt Gap.

After a quick lunch at Taco Cabana in Houston, we hit the road on I-10 West, but not for long. When we hit Columbus, we took 71 north (no, seriously) towards Brady, Texas. When we got to Brady, we stopped to ask for directions to a Salt Gap. The first lady I talked to at a gas station was really confused -- she thought I wanted polo shirts. The second lady also didn't know about Salt Gap (this is in their county!), but the third guy did. It was on a county map, so we just found the relevant intersection and plugged it into the GPS.
It wasn't the type of ghost town I was expecting. The web site had said something about an abandoned post office, which we didn't see. Also, it looked like at least one of the houses was still inhabited. Off a side road though, I did find two collapsing buildings that yielded some good photos.

IMG_0387

IMG_0373

Here's the rest of the pictures on Flickr.

We decided to get a hotel in Odessa, TX, which was surprisingly big, considering I couldn't find anything special about the town.

No comments: